Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Students expelled at IITs
30-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Students expelled at IITs
These days the news that a lot of students have been expelled from IITs as they have been unable to keep upto the curriculum.
An enquiry has been launched by the govt as most of the students belong to the reserved category.
Does such thing happen in BITS as true merit is the only criterion for selection.
Find all posts by this user
30-06-2008, 12:56 AM

I also recently read a report in the paper that the IIT's have the right to expel anyone whose CGPA falls below 4. And accordingly, 20 students were expelled from IIT Delhi, 8 of the open category, and 12 from the reserved category.However, I do not think that being"reserved" has anything to do with it.

At BITS, we follow a different CGPA and marking system from the IIT's despite having somewhat similar curricula.And BITS doesn't care if you're SC or ST.
In BITS, if you have a CG below 5, you come under the notice of the ACB ( academic control board-not sure of the full form), and you can get into trouble about your low marks. However, i have never heard of any person being expelled till date. And your marks in any college do NOT depend solely on your background, but your hard work as well.
30-06-2008, 01:38 AM

I've never heard of any student being expelled at BITS because of bad academics (There are a serious number of problems because of CG<5 though). I do know of a case where a student was demoted from Group A degree to Group C degree because he voluntarily did not attend exams, and in-spite of repeated warnings, refused to attend makeup tests. He finished his degree in 6 years, but as of today, is working in one of the best networking firms in India. Smile

One thing which very few aspirants know is that there is no FAIL (F) grade at BITS (unlike ALL the other engineering colleges in the country). The lowest grade which one can get is E (Exposed). You do not need to repeat a course if you get an E in it. However, if you get more than two E's in one semester, you are put under ACB (Shalini, I think it stands for Academic Counseling Board! Wink ) and your progress is monitored. If you do not perform satisfactorily then too, then you'd be in deep trouble. However, such cases are rare and arise for students with genuine problems or for those who absolutely refuse to study.
30-06-2008, 03:25 AM

it's acb if you're <4.5 .

"There are only two things that are infinite- the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2008, 01:42 AM

you get expelled from the IITs after you 'score' a very low cgpa..
for eg.. its 4 for IITK and 5 for IIT kgp..
and yes.. these ppl are never 'expelled'.. they are transferred to NITs like trichi, warrangal, surathkal..
and that too.. u get top branches like CS/EEE..!!
(he he.. take paper pulp.. have a cg of 2 and get admitted to NIT W's CS/EEE courses..)
03-07-2008, 01:51 AM
@kushagra
@Kushagra Verma

Bestest thing to do!!! :wink:
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM

Life is great at BITS!!!
If you feel you can't handle the load , you can easily spread your courses.You can use up to 1.5 times the alloted time for your course.Eg BE can be finished in 6 years , no questions asked. 8)
And even after that you can take extensions.
8) 8) 8)